Total Pageviews

Saturday, January 13, 2007

Young Boy (1955), Watercolour, 7 x 5



I have in my possession three paintings that I did when I was young. This painting was done by copying part of a larger picture that I found in an art book while I was taking art classes in Junior High School. It is more than 50 years old! My mother had it for years and I got it back when she died.

I also remember doing special posters (of Mexico, for example) and doing chalk board decorations for holidays (Christmas) during my primary years. I did a polar bear booklet in Grade 4 and painted on glass (silhouettes) in Grade 5. I did a watercolour of a sunset that turned out quite well in Grade 6. I did an oil painting of Mount Rundel for a friend of my mother's. Later, it burned in a house fire. If I hadn't taken art in school, I probably wouldn't be doing it now. My mother and I took art together in night school classes one year and we each painted the same scene given us by the instructor (Mr. Kershaw). These were given to my aunt and I don't know where they are now. I painted a night scene of a corral (from a magazine photo) which I gave to my aunt also.

At first, I couldn't remember the art work that I did years ago, but just writing this information down brought back a lot of memories of other art projects.

No comments: